Sunday, March 29, 2015

Can I Have Some Glue for that Bond?

I am not a mushy, sentimental person and honestly had no maternal instincts what so ever. No yearning for babies, the only ache I felt in my ovaries was from menstrual cramps. I felt no connection to my child while I was pregnant, just the pain from the sciatic nerve he was sitting on. Good news is once the baby gets here they grow on you.

I don’t think there is a wrong or right, good or bad way to parent. We all do the best we can in the moment and things seem to work out. For most of my life I have tried to look at the positive vs the negative, what I had vs obsessing over what I didn’t. I now try to instill that in my son who turns 18 next month (woohoo).


I don’t like giving parenting advice because I know I am far from perfect. In spite of that my son has turned out to be an intelligent, outspoken and mature beyond his years (most of the time). So the moral of the story for me is not to obsess over the unknown and what you have no control over. Focus on simple things and let your baby know they can count on you for comfort, support and security. The rest will fall into place. Once that little human being comes into your life it will be hard to imagine your life without them.

Jennifer Manchester

No comments:

Post a Comment